Looking for the ultimate list of unique travel experiences? Tired of the same old tourist attractions and beach vacations? It’s time to try something new and unforgettable!
Unique experiences around the world offer the opportunity to step out of your comfort zone, try something new, and create lasting memories. As a travel blogger, I get asked about this a lot. That’s why I decided to write an article about the coolest experiences I’ve done (and have yet to do). From snorkeling with sea turtles in Bali to dog sledding in the Arctic Circle, the possibilities are endless.
Not only will these types of experiences add an element of adventure to your travels, they also allow you to immerse yourself in different cultures and ways of life. You’ll have the opportunity to learn new skills, meet interesting people, and create connections with locals.
So why not ditch the traditional vacation and try something truly one-of-a-kind? Trust us, your Instagram followers will thank you for the amazing photos and stories. Plus, you’ll have memories and experiences that will stay with you forever.
Ready to embark on the journey of a lifetime? Add these 27 extraordinary trips and adventures to your bucket list!
27. Sailing to the remote islands of Raja Ampat
This is one of the top 10 best experiences that everyone should add to their bucket list. These remote Indonesian islands are like nature’s secret playground, with mind-blowing underwater scenery that’ll make you go, “Whoa!”
Picture this: emerald islets, towering cliffs, and reefs bursting with a kaleidoscope of colorful creatures. Grab your snorkel, because here you’ll swim with majestic mantas, playful dolphins, and even rockstar sea slugs!
Raja Ampat is an underwater wonderland that’ll make your wanderlust roar and remind you of the ocean’s incredible hidden treasures. So, get ready to embark on an adventure of a lifetime and explore the enchanting realm of Raja Ampat!
26. Hike the Himalayas
For nature lovers, trekking the Himalayas is one of the most amazing experiences in the world. While Mount Everest steals most of the limelight, the region is absolutely huge – encapsulating parts of Burma, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Tibet. The Himalayas are ten times the size of France, and there’s no shortage of hiking routes to choose from.
When hiking the Himalayas, you may wish to backpack by yourself or go with an organized tour company. Generally, the “Western” tours are more expensive than the local ones, but the quality standard in terms of guides and logistics are higher (however, all tours vary). For an unparalleled travel experience above the clouds, I recommend doing a 10-day G Adventures tour from Kathmandu. You won’t regret it!
If you’re looking to get the adrenaline pumping, this unique experience in Asia is truly one of a kind.
25. Volcano boarding down Cerro Negro in Nicaragua
Craving some travel experiences that are off the beaten path? Hold onto your hats because we’re about to embark on a volcanic voyage like no other!
Picture yourself racing down the slopes of Cerro Negro, a volcano in Nicaragua, not on skis or a snowboard, but on a freaking wooden board! Yes, this is volcano boarding – the ultimate adrenaline rush that’ll have you feeling like a fiery comet blazing down the mountainside.
Here’s the deal: you suit up in some snazzy protective gear, grab your trusty board (basically a glorified sled), and make your way to the summit of Cerro Negro. As you gaze out at the jaw-dropping vistas stretching before you, you’ll feel a mix of excitement and a hint of “What on earth am I doing?!” But fear not, for the thrill that awaits is absolutely worth it!
Once at the summit, you take a deep breath, summon your courage, and launch yourself down the ash-covered slopes. The wind whips through your hair, your heart pounds like a tribal drum, and you can’t help but let out a mix of exhilarated laughter and “woohoo”s as you leave a trail of dust in your wake.
So if you’re seeking an experience that combines thrills, natural wonders, and a dash of wild abandon, add volcano boarding in Nicaragua to your bucket list. It’s a hair-raising adventure that will leave you craving more, igniting your wanderlust, and reminding you that life is meant to be lived on the edge – or in this case, on the fiery slopes of a volcano!
24. Sleep in an ice hotel
You haven’t truly experienced the winter until you stayed at an ice hotel. These unique accommodations resemble igloos and castles – with chairs, tables, and walls made entirely out of icy snow. Here are some of the top ice hotels around the globe that you should add to your bucket list:
– Icehotel in Sweden: This is one of the coolest stays in the world by far. Its rooms are made entirely out of sculpted ice. In addition to their individually themed ice rooms, they also offer reindeer sled rides, snowmobiling, and dog sledding. There’s also a sauna, wood-burning hot tub, and ice bath available on the property. Read more about this legendary ice hotel here!
– Hotel de Glace in Canada: This ice hotel in Quebec will blow your mind. It truly resembles a winter wonderland with its 44 themed rooms, ice bar, and other icy amenities. It’s nearby to miles of trails for hiking, snowshoeing, and skiing. Read more about this unique hotel that’s open from January through March.
– Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in Finland: This resort in the Arctic Circle is ideal for nature lovers. It offers several igloos with a glass roof and luxury beds. It’s also home to the world’s largest smoke sauna and other cozy amenities. The ice hole is super special, as are the two restaurants onsite serving local specialties like reindeer and char-grilled salmon.
With so many fun activities and gorgeous views, staying at an ice hotel is one of the coolest experiences imaginable!
Also read: Top Stays in Canada
23. Go swimming with whale sharks
Swimming with whale sharks is an absolutely unforgettable adventure that should be on every ocean-lover’s bucket list. These gentle giants are the largest fish in the sea, reaching lengths of up to 40 feet and weighing as much as 20 tons. They are also considered endangered. So, swimming with them is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get up close and personal with these amazing creatures.
So where can you find these majestic beasts? Some of the best places to swim with whale sharks include:
- The Maldives: This small island nation in the Indian Ocean is home to a healthy population of whale sharks. The best time to see them being between November and May.
- The Philippines: The waters around Donsol and Oslob are home to many whale sharks. And the best time to see them is between January and May.
- Australia: Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia is a great place to spot whale sharks, with the best time to visit being between March and August.
When it comes to choosing a company or operator, it’s important to do your research and choose one that follows ethical practices and puts the well-being of the whale sharks first. Look for companies that have a good reputation and are certified by the regulatory authorities in those countries.
Swimming with whale sharks is a truly unique travel experience that will leave you with memories to last a lifetime.
22. Watch the Northern Lights from a glass igloo
Dreaming of sleeping beneath the stars in a cozy cabin? You won’t want to miss this amazing activity up north.
Seeing the Northern Lights is one of the most surreal experiences on the planet. Add to that a cozy glass igloo in the middle of the Arctic tundra, and you’ll be amazed. I’ve seen them in Iceland a few times and they have absolutely blown my mind! Here are some of the coolest igloos where you can enjoy a hot cocoa and soak in the aurora borealis.
Best Northern Lights igloos:
– Borealis Basecamp in Alaska: Spend a night at this gorgeous igloo and you’ll be treated to some of the most breathtaking views imaginable. The amenities are top-notch and the rooms are spacious. Beyond the northern lights, you can also go skiing, snowshoeing, dog sledding, and riding in a reindeer sley. What more could you want in a top travel experience?
– Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in Finland: This glass igloo resort in the middle of the arctic wilderness has it all. Spend your days in Finish saunas and eating at one of the amazing resort restaurants. Then, at night, curl up by the fire or watch the northern lights from your luxury bedroom with glass ceilings. Here, the best time to see the aurora borealis is between late August and late April.
– Isbreen The Glacier in Norway: This geodesic dome offers the ultimate winter getaway. It’s set in a serene arctic location in northern Norway. Enjoy the hot tub and cozy bedrooms on the property. From these aurora domes, take in the views of the sea and northern lights. You definitely won’t want to stay anywhere else this winter!
The Northern Lights is truly Mother Nature at its finest! Marvel at the green, yellow, red, purple, and indigo colors, and you’ll see why this is among the most unique experiences for travelers.
21. Go on a gorilla trek in Uganda
Are you looking for the ultimate adventure that will make all your friends jealous? Look no further than a gorilla trek in Uganda!
Imagine hiking through the lush rainforests of Uganda, surrounded by the calls of exotic birds and the rustling of leaves. As you make your way deeper into the jungle, you catch a glimpse of something moving in the underbrush. Suddenly, you come face to face with a majestic mountain gorilla, just a few feet away. It’s a travel experience like no other, and one that you’ll never forget.
But where do you start when it comes to planning a gorilla trek? First, you’ll want to choose a reputable company or operator. Some top-rated options include Wildfrontiers, African Wildlife Foundation, and Gorilla Trek Africa. These companies offer tours ranging from 3-7 days, and can arrange everything from transportation to accommodation.
What makes gorilla trekking an amazing experience
But the real reason to add a gorilla trek to your bucket list is the opportunity to connect with these incredible animals in their natural habitat. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to witness the intelligence, family dynamics, and daily routines of these majestic creatures. Plus, you’ll be supporting conservation efforts that help protect gorillas and their habitats. Mountain gorillas are only found in the 3 countries, so it’s extra important to protect these precious creatures.
So don’t wait any longer – it’s time to start planning your gorilla trek adventure! Just don’t be surprised if all your friends start begging you to take them along too. This is one of those traveling experiences that is absolutely lifechanging.
20. Drink beers at Oktoberfest in Munich
Feeling a little thirsty? Pack your lederhosen and head to Munich for the ultimate beer-filled adventure at Oktoberfest! It’s a unique experience you’ll remember forever.
This iconic event is held annually in the heart of Munich and attracts millions of visitors from all over the world. And for good reason – it’s the biggest party on the planet, complete with massive tents filled with steins of delicious German beer, traditional Bavarian food, and non-stop music and dancing.
But with so many tents to choose from, how do you decide where to spend your time? The Hofbräu-Festzelt tent is always a popular choice, with its lively atmosphere and famous Hofbräu beer. The Schottenhamel tent is another popular spot, known for being the place where the first keg is tapped to officially kick off Oktoberfest. And if you’re feeling fancy, the Ochsenbraterei tent is known for its delicious roasted ox and high-end atmosphere.
As for how long you should spend at Oktoberfest, it’s up to you! Some people spend just a day or two at the festival, while others make it a week-long adventure. It’s all about finding the balance between having a good time and not overdoing it (trust us, you don’t want to be that person who can’t remember their time at Oktoberfest).
By going to Oktoberfest, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in Bavarian culture and experience one of the biggest and best parties in the world. It’s a chance to make new friends, try delicious new beers, and create memories that will last a lifetime. Prost!
19. Go on a safari in Africa
Ready for a unique adventure that will make all your friends green with envy? Look no further than a safari in Africa!
Picture yourself in an open-air jeep, cruising through the vast savannas and wetlands of Africa as you spot some of the world’s most incredible wildlife. From majestic elephants and graceful giraffes to prowling lions and stealthy leopards, a safari is an unforgettable way to get up close and personal with the animals of the African wilderness.
Some of the best countries for a safari include Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, and Botswana. Each of these countries offers a unique array of wildlife and landscapes, from the snow-capped peaks of Kilimanjaro to the endless savannas of the Serengeti.
When choosing a tour operator, select a company that has a good reputation and follows ethical practices. Some top-rated options include G Adventures, Intrepid Travel, and Africa Safari Group. These companies offer a variety of safari packages and can help you plan everything from transportation to accommodation.
The best time to go on a safari depends on where you’re planning to go and what type of wildlife you want to see. For example, the dry season (June to October) is the best time to see the Great Migration in the Serengeti. While the wet season (November to May) is the best time to see gorillas in Uganda.
The main reason to add a safari to your wish list is to experience the beauty and wonder of the African wilderness. It gives you the opportunity to learn about different cultures, connect with nature, and create memories that will last a lifetime. What more could you ask for in a bucket list experience?
18. Go skydiving in the Swiss Alps
Feeling brave and looking for a rush like no other? Head to Switzerland and go skydiving! This unique travel experience will blow your mind.
Imagine freefalling through the skies over the stunning Swiss Alps, with breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks, crystal clear lakes, and picturesque villages below. It’s an adrenaline-pumping experience that you’ll never forget.
But where should you go skydiving in Switzerland? Some of the best places to take the plunge include Interlaken, Lucerne, and Zürich. These destinations offer world-class skydiving facilities and breathtaking views of the Swiss landscape.
The best time to go skydiving in Switzerland depends on the weather and your personal preferences. The summer months (June to August) offer the best conditions for skydiving, with warm temperatures and clear skies. However, the fall (September to November) can also be a great time to go, with cooler temperatures and stunning autumn foliage.
Going skydiving will give you a rush like no other – pushing your limits and experiencing the thrill of a lifetime. And it will help you overcome your fears and challenge yourself in the process. This one of the most fun experiences imaginable!
17. Stay in a villa overlooking vineyards in Tuscany
To have a taste of the good life, stay in a villa in Tuscany. It’s definitely a unique experience in travel that you won’t forget.
Picture yourself sipping a glass of Chianti on the terrace of your own private villa, surrounded by rolling hills of olive groves and vineyards. It’s the ultimate way to experience the beauty and charm of Tuscany.
But what can you expect when you stay in a villa in Tuscany? For starters, you’ll have plenty of space to relax and unwind, with large living areas, fully equipped kitchens, and cozy bedrooms. You’ll also have access to a range of amenities, such as swimming pools, outdoor BBQs, and gardens. I recommend staying near and around places like Florence, Siena, and The Chianti Region. Each place has its own special attractions and things to do.
But the real beauty of staying in a villa is the idea of fully immerse yourself in the local culture and way of life. You’ll get to explore charming towns and villages, sample delicious local foods and wines, and participate in traditional Tuscan activities like olive oil tastings and cooking classes. It’s truly one of the most unique travel experiences in 2023!
16. Go heliskiing in British Columbia
Looking to do some of the most ultimate world experiences? Look no further than heliskiing in British Columbia!
Imagine being whisked away by helicopter to the top of a remote mountain, where you’ll have access to miles of untracked, powdery terrain. It’s the ultimate way to experience the thrill of the backcountry without having to worry about the logistics of getting there.
But where should you go heliskiing in British Columbia? The Revelstoke area is known for its long runs and deep snow, and is a popular destination for heliskiing. Other top spots include the Kootenay region and the Coast Mountains.
The best time to go heliskiing in British Columbia depends on your personal preferences and the snow conditions. The ski season typically runs from December to April, with the deepest snow typically falling in February and March.
By going heliskiing in British Columbia, you’ll experience the thrill of the backcountry in a whole new way. It will definitely get you out of your comfort zone while exploring new terrain. Is this among the coolest experiences in the world? 100%!
15. See royal castles from a European river cruise
Ready to live like royalty? Go on a European river cruise and see some of the most beautiful castles in the world!
Imagine sailing down the tranquil waters of the Danube, the Rhine, or the Seine, passing by picturesque villages and rolling hills as you make your way from one castle to the next. It’s the ultimate way to experience the charm and beauty of Europe.
But where should you go on your castle-filled river cruise? Some of the best destinations include Germany, Austria, France, and the Netherlands. These countries are home to some of the most stunning castles in Europe, including Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, Schönbrunn Palace in Austria, and Versailles in France.
When it comes to choosing a river cruise company, it’s important to select one that has a good reputation and offers a variety of castle-focused itineraries. Some top-rated options include Avalon Waterways by Globus and Viking. These companies offer a range of river cruise packages and can help you plan everything from transportation to accommodation.
The best time to go on a European river cruise is during the summer months (June to August). However, the spring (April to May) and fall (September to October) can also be great times to visit these unique gems in Europe, with mild temperatures and fewer crowds.
Adding a European river cruise to your bucket list will show you the beauty and charm of Europe in a whole new way!
14. Go on a yoga retreat in India
Looking to go on a wellness retreat anytime soon? Find your inner Zen by going on a yoga retreat in India. It’s truly among the most unique experiences you can imagine!
Here, you’ll get to practice yoga in the peaceful surroundings of an ashram in the beautiful Indian countryside, surrounded by rolling hills and picturesque villages. It’s the ultimate way to reconnect with yourself and find your inner peace.
Some of the best destinations for yoga retreats in India include the Himalayan region, the Kerala region, and the Goa region. These areas are known for their stunning landscapes and rich yoga traditions.
When it comes to choosing a yoga retreat, it’s important to select one that offers a variety of classes and activities and has a good reputation. Some top-rated retreats in India include The Yoga Institute, Parmarth Niketan, and Sivananda Ashram. These retreats offer a range of yoga packages and can help you plan everything from transportation to accommodation.
Immerse yourself in the ancient traditions of yoga and experience the beauty and tranquility of the Indian landscape. In the process, you’ll find your inner peace and meet some new friends in the process. A special travel experience for sure!
13. Sleep in an underwater hotel
Everyone enjoys a room with a view, but nothing beats the views from under the sea. You’ll find underwater hotels in exotic places around the world, including the Maldives, Dubai, Singapore, Australia, and Fiji. Here are some luxurious underwater resorts you’ll want to check out:
– Conrad Maldives Rangali Island: This is the best underwater resort in the world by far. It offers spacious private villas, restaurants, and spas beneath the sea. It’s truly a once in a lifetime experience that’s worth every penny. Read more about the resort here.
– Atlantis, The Palm: This five-star hotel offers some of the most scenic underwater views imaginable. It also has a massive waterpark and kids club and plenty of other organized activities. Read more about this unique hotel here.
– Resorts World Sentosa (Singapore): This gorgeous resort on the water houses an aquarium with 40,000 fish. It also has underwater suites where you can get up close and personal with some of the most colorful, exotic fish imaginable.
If you’re looking for one of the most unique experiences on Earth, spend your next vacation under the sea. You don’t have to go diving to spend quality time with beautiful fish – you can do so from the comfort of your hotel room!
12. Go diving at the Great Barrier Reef
Looking to discover unique travel experiences in the land down under? Dive into the world’s largest coral reef system at the Great Barrier Reef!
Here, you’ll get to go swimming alongside schools of colorful fish, marveling at the intricate patterns of coral, and encountering some of the most incredible marine life on the planet. It’s an underwater adventure like no other.
But where should you go diving on the Great Barrier Reef? Some of the best places to explore include the Whitsunday Islands, the Ribbon Reefs, and the Cod Hole. These areas offer a wide variety of marine life and breathtaking coral formations.
The best time to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef is typically from June to August (the winter in Australia). This time of year offers the best conditions for diving, with clear, calm waters and warm temperatures.
Explore the beauty and wonder of the underwater world. It’s a chance to discover new species and learn about marine ecosystems. It’s truly one of the most interesting experiences in life!
11. Take a tour of Easter Island to see the Moai
Wanting to take a journey to one of the most remote and mysterious places on earth? Go on a tour of Easter Island and see the Moai!
Easter Island, also known as Rapa Nui, is a small Polynesian island located in the Pacific Ocean. It’s home to the famous Moai, giant stone statues that were carved by the island’s ancient inhabitants. These mysterious sculptures have fascinated people for centuries, and a tour of Easter Island is the perfect way to see them up close.
But what can you expect during your tour of Easter Island? You’ll have the chance to explore the island’s unique culture and history, visit ancient sites and temples, and learn about the Moai and their significance to the Rapa Nui people. You’ll also have the opportunity to see other attractions on the island, such as Rano Kau volcano and Orongo, a ceremonial village perched on the edge of a cliff. It’s truly a UNESCO World Heritage Site like no other.
The best time to tour Easter Island is during the summer months (December to February) with its warm temperatures and clear skies. If you’re looking to experience the mystery and wonder of this unique place, don’t miss a tour of Easter Island.
10. Go camping and stargazing in Jordan
Ready to sleep under the stars in one of the most beautiful and historic countries in the world? Go camping and stargazing in Jordan!
Jordan is a country with a rich history, stunning landscapes, and a wealth of outdoor activities. It’s the perfect destination for glamping and stargazing, with its clear, dark skies and beautiful natural surroundings.
Some popular destinations for camping in Jordan include Wadi Rum, Dana Nature Reserve, and Al-Azraq Wetland Reserve. These beautiful regions offer a variety of landscapes. This includes deserts, mountains, forests, and wetlands, and are perfect for exploring by day and stargazing by night.
When it comes to comfortably camping in Jordan, there are several options to choose from. You can stay in a traditional Bedouin camp, where you’ll sleep in a tent and experience the traditional way of life of the Bedouin people. Or, you can choose a campsite or eco-lodge, which offer more amenities and a comfortable place to rest.
No matter which option you choose, you’ll be able to experience the beauty and culture of Jordan in a unique and meaningful way. You’ll have the opportunity to explore the country’s rich history, see its stunning landscapes, and stargaze under the clear, dark skies. It’s a great place to relax and reconnect with nature, making it one of the most unique things to do in the world.
9. Take a train ride through the Canadian Rockies
Take a train ride through the Canadian Rockies and you’ll find some of the most beautiful and iconic landscapes in the world.
The Canadian Rockies are a stunning mountain range located in western Canada, and a train ride through this region is an unforgettable way to experience its beauty. The most popular train company for this journey is Rocky Mountaineer, which offers a range of itineraries that take you through the heart of the Rockies.
During your train ride through the Canadian Rockies, you’ll have the chance to see some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the world. You’ll pass through towering mountains, crystal-clear lakes, and dense forests, and you’ll see a variety of wildlife, including bears, elk, and moose.
The train ride through the Canadian Rockies typically starts in either Vancouver or Calgary and ends in either Banff or Jasper, with stops along the way at popular destinations such as Kamloops, Lake Louise, and Banff National Park. Along the way, you’ll have the opportunity to see many attractions, such as the Spiral Tunnels, the Kicking Horse River, and the Columbia Icefield.
Experience the beauty and wonder of this iconic landscape while on a train. You’ll not only enjoy the scenery, but also learn about the history and culture of the region. It’s easy to see why this is among the best bucket list activities in the world.
8. See polar bears in the Arctic Circle
For one of the most incredible wildlife encounters on the planet, go see polar bears in the Arctic Circle.
The Arctic Circle is home to some of the world’s most iconic and majestic animals, and seeing polar bears in their natural habitat is an unforgettable experience. Popular places to see polar bears in the Arctic Circle include Churchill, Manitoba in Canada, Svalbard in Norway, and Nunavut in Canada. These destinations offer a range of tours and activities that will allow you to see polar bears up close and learn about their habitat and behavior.
What makes the polar bear such a special creature? For starters, they are one of the largest predatory animals on the planet, with males weighing up to 1,500 pounds. They are also skilled hunters and swimmers, and they are adapted to living in the harsh Arctic environment.
But the real reason to add seeing polar bears in the Arctic Circle to your bucket list is the opportunity to experience the beauty and wonder of the natural world. It’s a chance to witness the majesty of these animals up close and learn about their habitat and behavior. As far as the most unique experiences in the world go, this is among the best!
7. Experience the fall foliage in New England
Go on a fall foliage road trip in New England and prepare to be inspired by the autumnal colors that await you.
There’s no place quite like New England in the fall, when the leaves on the trees turn a riot of red, orange, and yellow. The fall foliage in New England is legendary, with some of the most beautiful and vibrant colors in the world.
So what makes fall foliage in New England so special? For starters, the region has a variety of trees, including maples, oaks, and birches. Each turns different shades of red, orange, and yellow. New England also has a wide range of elevations, which means that the fall foliage season lasts longer and the colors are more varied.
Some of the best places to see the fall colors in New England include the White Mountains in New Hampshire, the Green Mountains in Vermont, and the Berkshires in Massachusetts. These regions offer a range of outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, and driving, and are perfect for exploring by car.
The best time to go on a fall foliage road trip in New England is from mid-September to late October, when the colors are at their peak. Add a fall foliage road trip in New England to your list to see the beauty of the natural world. I highly recommend visiting New England in the fall at least once in your lifetime – you won’t regret it!
6. See the sunrise from Haleakala National Park in Hawaii
Ready to start your day with a sunrise you’ll never forget? See the sunrise from Haleakala National Park!
Haleakala National Park is truly a special place, located on the island of Maui in Hawaii. It’s known for its breathtaking views, stunning landscapes, and abundant wildlife. And it’s a place that everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.
One of the most breathtaking experiences at Haleakala National Park is watching the sunrise from the summit. The summit of Haleakala is 10,000 feet above sea level, and it offers a panoramic view of the island and the Pacific Ocean. As the sun rises above the horizon, it paints the sky with an incredible palette of colors, from deep reds and oranges to bright pinks and purples.
The best place to see the sunrise at Haleakala National Park is from the summit, which can be reached by car or by bike. There are several viewpoints along the way, including the Halemau’u Trailhead and the Leleiwi Overlook. Both points offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
To make the most of your sunrise experience at Haleakala National Park, it’s important to plan ahead. Stay at a hotel or vacation rental within a close distance of the park. Make sure to bring warm clothing, as it can be cold and windy at the summit. Also, be sure to arrive early, as the road to the summit can be crowded and there is limited parking. Don’t forget to bring your camera along toe capture this magic moment! It’s truly a traveling experience you won’t want to miss.
Read also: Molokai, Hawaii Travel Guide
5. Go backpacking through Europe
Backpacking in Europe is the ultimate way to see this continent, with its rich history, stunning landscapes, and diverse cultures. Having been to over 30 countries in Europe, I must say…there’s no place quite like Europe when it comes to backpacking. The cheap and convenient transportation, range of accommodations, and lesser-known hidden gems make it a great place to visit.
So why is backpacking in Europe better than anywhere else? First and foremost, Europe has a wide range of destinations to choose from, including bustling cities, charming villages, and stunning natural landscapes. You can visit iconic landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben, explore ancient ruins like the Colosseum and the Parthenon, or relax on beautiful beaches like the French Riviera and the Greek islands.
Some of the best places to go backpacking in Europe include:
- Eastern Europe: This region is known for its cheap prices, beautiful landscapes, and rich history. Some popular destinations for backpacking in Eastern Europe include Poland, Czech Republic, and Romania.
- Western Europe: This region is known for its stunning natural landscapes, charming villages, and iconic cities. Some popular destinations for backpacking in Western Europe include Spain, France, and Italy.
- Northern Europe: This region is known for its stunning natural landscapes, vibrant cities, and rich culture. Some popular destinations for backpacking in Northern Europe include Sweden, Norway, and Finland.
When it comes to backpacking in Europe, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure you have a good backpack and comfortable shoes, as you’ll be doing a lot of walking. Second, be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions, as the weather in Europe can be unpredictable. Finally, make sure you have a good sense of direction, as it’s easy to get lost in the winding streets of Europe’s cities.
4. Jump into the icy waters of Antarctica
Okay, so maybe this isn’t the most appealing bucket list item for everyone, but hear me out. Antarctica is an incredible and unique destination that is unlike any other place on Earth. It’s a land of towering icebergs, stunning wildlife, and extreme weather conditions. As such, I believe it’s a place that everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.
So why is jumping into the icy waters of Antarctica worth considering? It’s an opportunity to experience the thrill of facing your fears and stepping out of your comfort zone. It’s also a chance to test your mettle and see if you have what it takes to survive in one of the most extreme environments on the planet.
But the deeper reason to add Antarctica to your bucket list is to experience the beauty and wonder of this amazing continent. It’s a chance to see some of the most stunning landscapes in the world, witness the majesty of the wildlife, and enjoy memories that will last forever.
If you’re thinking about jumping into the icy waters of Antarctica, there are a few things to consider. First, make sure you have the right gear, including a wetsuit and appropriate footwear. Second, choose a reputable tour operator or cruise line that has experience operating in Antarctica. Some of the best options for touring Antarctica include G Adventures, Quark Expeditions, and Hurtigruten.
This is truly a unique travel experience like no other! So, let your inner Wim Hof shine and take the plunge. Just don’t forget to bring a warm towel and a hot cocoa for afterwards.
3. Visit the whimsical Hobbiton in New Zealand
Looking for an unusual experience to add to your wish list? Take a journey to Middle Earth by visiting the Hobbiton in New Zealand.
Yes, you read that right. The Hobbiton, a place straight out of the beloved Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit series, is a real place and it’s located in beautiful New Zealand. This magical and immersive experience is unlike anything else in the world and is a must-do for any fan of the books or movies.
So what is the Hobbiton and why should you visit it? The Hobbiton is a film set that was built for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies. It’s located in the picturesque rolling hills of the Waikato region in New Zealand. It’s a fully functioning farm with real hobbit houses, gardens, and other structures that were created for the movies.
When you visit the Hobbiton, you’ll have the opportunity to take a tour of the film set, see the hobbit houses up close, and learn about the history and making of the movies. You’ll also have the chance to visit the Green Dragon Inn, where you can sample some of the delicious food and drink that was featured in the movies.
Not only will you get to experience the world of Middle Earth and the magic of this beloved series. It’s also a chance to see where your favorite characters lived and walked, and to create memories that will last a lifetime. Is this a top travel experience? You bet!
2. Attend the Carnival Festival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
For one of the biggest parties on the planet, you’ll want to check out Carnival in Rio de Janiero. It’s truly one of the best experiences in the world, especially for young adults.
Carnival is an annual celebration that takes place in many countries around the world. However, the carnival in Rio de Janeiro is on a whole other level. This massive party takes place in February or March each year and is known for its elaborate floats, colorful costumes, and vibrant street parties. It’s a non-stop celebration that attracts millions of visitors from all over the world.
So what makes the carnival in Rio de Janeiro so special? Firstly, it’s the largest carnival in the world, with over two million people in attendance each year. It’s also known for its elaborate floats and costumes, which are created by samba schools that compete in a series of parades. The carnival in Rio de Janeiro is also famous for its lively street parties, where people dance, drink, and celebrate all night long.
But the real reason to add carnival in Rio de Janeiro to your bucket list is the energy and joy of this incredible celebration. You’ll get to immerse yourself in the culture and traditions of Brazil and see some of the most elaborate and colorful costumes and floats in the world. Plan your carnival adventure in Rio de Janeiro, and you’ll see why this is a top bucket list experience in 2023!
1. Do a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia, Greece
If you’re looking for the ultimate unique travel experience, may we suggest a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia, Turkey? Not only will you get to see the stunning landscapes of Cappadocia from a whole new perspective, but you’ll also get to feel like you’re floating on a giant, colorful cloud. Seriously, how cool is that?
Located in central Anatolia, Cappadocia is known for its unique and otherworldly rock formations, which have been shaped by centuries of wind and water erosion. The region is also home to a number of underground cities, which were built by ancient civilizations as a means of defense against invaders.
But the best way to see all of this is from above, and a hot air balloon ride is the perfect way to do it. As you soar high above the ground, you’ll be able to see the breathtaking views of the valleys, mountains, and caves below. You’ll also get to see the famous “fairy chimneys,” which are tall, thin spires of rock that are found only in Cappadocia.
So why wait? Add a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia to your bucket list and get ready for the experience of a lifetime! Just be sure to pack your camera, because you’re going to want to capture all of the incredible sights and memories that you’ll make on this amazing journey.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about unique experiences
Here are some common questions (and answers) that many travelers have about unique experiences:
Q: What are the top 10 best experiences in 2023?
A: Here are 10 cool experiences that everyone should add to their travel bucket list:
- Witnessing the Northern Lights: Marvel at nature’s captivating light show as vibrant ribbons of color dance across the night sky, painting a cosmic masterpiece that will leave you in awe.
- Trekking to Machu Picchu: Embark on an unforgettable journey through mist-shrouded mountains and ancient ruins, where the mystical aura of the Incas whispers secrets of a bygone civilization.
- Swimming with dolphins: Dive into the sparkling turquoise waters, embracing a whimsical encounter with these playful and intelligent creatures as they guide you into a world of joy and connection.
- Hot air balloon ride at sunrise: Ascend into the tranquil skies, drifting above picturesque landscapes, as the golden hues of the rising sun paint a breathtaking panorama below, creating memories that will forever float in your heart.
- Safari adventure in the Serengeti: Embark on an exhilarating expedition through the wild African plains, where mighty lions roar, graceful giraffes roam, and the untamed rhythm of nature pulses through your veins.
- Walking the Great Wall of China: Step back in time and feel the echoes of ancient history beneath your feet as you traverse the iconic Great Wall, a monumental feat of human ingenuity that stretches over misty mountaintops.
- Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef: Plunge into a kaleidoscope of coral reefs, encountering a vibrant underworld teeming with exotic marine life, where time stands still and wonder embraces your soul.
- Road trip along the iconic Route 66: Embark on a thrilling journey along the legendary “Main Street of America,” cruising through vast deserts, quirky roadside attractions, and nostalgic Americana that will evoke a sense of freedom and adventure.
- Dancing the night away at the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro: Immerse yourself in a riot of color, rhythm, and infectious energy as samba beats fill the air, and exuberant revelers take to the streets, igniting a contagious joy that will make your heart sway to the pulsating rhythm.
- Trekking through the Amazon rainforest: Venture into the heart of the world’s largest tropical rainforest, where lush foliage envelops you, mysterious creatures lurk in the undergrowth, and the symphony of nature surrounds you in a mesmerizing embrace of life’s abundance.
Q: What’s the most unique experience you’ve ever had?
A: Wow, that’s a tough one. I’ve had a lot of unique experiences in my time as a travel blogger, but I think one that stands out is the time I went backpacking in Northern Africa. Exploring Morocco, Tunisia, and Egypt on a budget while visiting hidden gems in those places was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I’ll never forget.
Q: How do I find cool experiences?
A: There are so many ways to find cool experiences! Here are a few ideas:
- Follow your passions and interests. If you love art, look for art exhibits or workshops to attend. If you’re into adventure sports, try something like bungee jumping or white water rafting. By doing things that you’re already interested in, you’re more likely to have a unique and enjoyable experience.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Sometimes, the coolest experiences are the ones that push you out of your comfort zone. If you’re not usually the adventurous type, try something new and exciting, like skydiving or bungee jumping.
- Look for events and festivals in your area. Many cities and towns host festivals and events throughout the year, and these can be a great way to try new things and have unique experiences.
- Take a road trip or go on a backpacking trip. Exploring new places and seeing what they have to offer can be a lot of fun, and it’s a great way to have unique experiences.
- Ask your friends and family for recommendations. They may have some cool experiences under their belts that they can recommend to you.
- Do some research online. There are tons of websites and blogs out there that can give you ideas for unique experiences, whether it’s trying a new restaurant, attending a concert, or going on a hiking trail.
Ultimately, the key to finding cool experiences is to keep an open mind and be willing to try new things!
Q: Have you ever done something that most people wouldn’t dare to do?
A: Last month, I went on a Wim Hof-style retreat in Sweden, where I jumped into ice cold lakes in 5°F (-15°C) temperatures. During that trip, I also hiked for an hour while only wearing a bathing suit and learned survival skills in the wild as well. If you want to learn more, follow my adventures on IG!
Q: How do I get the best travel experience?
A: Ahhh, the pursuit of the ultimate travel experience! To embark on a journey that leaves an indelible mark on your heart and soul, let me share some whimsical secrets to unlock the gateway to extraordinary adventures:
1. Embrace serendipity
Leave room for spontaneity and allow the unexpected to guide your path. Serendipitous encounters, hidden gems, and delightful detours often lead to the most memorable travel moments.
2. Engage with locals
Peel back the layers of a destination by connecting with its people. Engage in conversations, savor their cuisine, learn their customs, and unlock the secrets of a place through the eyes of those who call it home.
3. Venture off the beaten path
Break free from the well-trodden tourist routes and wander into the lesser-known corners. Discover hidden nooks, stumble upon authentic experiences, and create your own unique story in unexplored territories.
4. Immerse yourself in the culture
Embrace the local way of life by participating in cultural activities, festivals, or workshops. Dive into the traditions, music, dance, and art forms that define a place, and you’ll find yourself enveloped in a vibrant tapestry of experiences.
5. Step into nature’s embrace
Seek solace in nature’s bountiful embrace. From majestic mountains to pristine beaches and ancient forests, let the great outdoors be your playground, offering rejuvenation, awe, and a deep connection with the world around you.
6. Capture memories with all senses
Look beyond the lens of your camera and let your senses be your guide. Breathe in the aroma of local delicacies, listen to the cacophony of bustling markets, touch the textures of architectural marvels, and taste the flavors of a culture. Imprint the essence of your travels upon your soul.
7. Embrace challenges and learn from them
Sometimes, travel throws unexpected hurdles in our path. Embrace them as opportunities for growth and adaptability. Embody the spirit of resilience, for it is in overcoming challenges that we often discover our greatest strengths.
8. Practice mindful presence
Slow down and savor each moment, for time is the most precious currency we possess. Be fully present, engaging your senses, immersing yourself in the beauty of the here and now. Cherish the moments that unfold, for they become the cherished memories of a lifetime.
9. Cultivate an open mind and heart
Approach new cultures, traditions, and perspectives with curiosity, respect, and an open heart. Embrace the diversity of our world, celebrating the tapestry of humanity that weaves us all together.
Remember, it’s about the journey, not just the destination: Embrace the winding paths, unexpected detours, and the beauty of the in-between moments. The true essence of travel lies not just in reaching the destination but in the transformative experiences, connections, and personal growth that occur along the way.
Q: What are some once in a lifetime experiences?
A: Oh boy, there are so many once-in-a-lifetime experiences out there! Here are just a few that come to mind:
- Swimming with dolphins
- Going on a hot air balloon ride
- Participating in a flash mob
- Doing a bungee jump
- Going on a safari
- Attending a music festival in another country
- Going to space (if you’re rich and/or an astronaut)
- Going on a trip to a distant and exotic location
The possibilities are endless! Just make sure to take lots of pictures so you can remember all of the fun you had.
Q: What are examples of new experiences?
A: Looking for some fun experiences that are new as well? Let’s embark on a journey through the realm of new experiences, where uncharted territories beckon and thrill-seeking hearts ignite with wanderlust!
New experiences are the lifeblood of wanderlust. They are the delicious moments that add a sprinkle of magic to our travel tales. So, buckle up and get ready for a whirlwind tour of examples that will make your adventurous spirit soar:
- Skydiving from a plane and feeling the exhilarating rush of freefall.
- Learning to surf and riding the waves like a true oceanic rockstar.
- Exploring ancient ruins and feeling the weight of history upon your shoulders.
- Sampling street food delicacies, like crispy scorpions or aromatic durian.
- Attending a vibrant local festival, where the energy is infectious and the colors mesmerize.
- Swimming with majestic whales, their sheer size leaving you in awe of the wonders of the ocean.
- Trekking through dense jungles, where each step uncovers hidden waterfalls and exotic wildlife.
- Engaging in a traditional tea ceremony, savoring each sip while immersing yourself in the rich culture.
- Participating in a traditional dance, twirling to the rhythm of drums and melodies that transport you to another era.
- Going on a road trip with no fixed destination, letting the open road lead you to hidden gems and unforgettable encounters.
These are just a handful of the countless new experiences awaiting your eager embrace. So, venture forth with an open mind, a curious heart, and a dash of courage. Seek out the uncharted, embrace the unknown, and let the beauty of new experiences ignite your wanderlust.
Q: Have you ever traveled to a really off-the-beaten-path destination?
A: I’ve been fortunate enough to visit a lot of interesting places through my travel job, but one place that stands out as particularly unique is Northern Maine. I’m talking about the interior of the state, NOT parts of coastal Maine like Acadia. It’s a really beautiful and peaceful place, with absolutely no light pollution and endless wilderness. You won’t find an area on the East Coast that is as remote as this.
Q: What is an unusual experience?
A: Haha, well, I’m not sure if this counts as “unusual,” but one experience I’ve always wanted to add to my bucket list is “getting a high five from a dolphin.” I mean, how cool would that be? Imagine swimming in the ocean and suddenly a dolphin just swims up to you, gives you a high five, and then swims off into the sunset. Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Q: Is there anything you’ve always wanted to do but haven’t had the chance to yet?
A: There are so many things I’d love to do! One thing that comes to mind is visiting all seven continents. I’ve been to 5 already, but there are still so many places I haven’t had the chance to explore yet. Maybe one day soon I’ll get the chance to visit Antarctica and check it off my list!
What are the 5 types of experiences?
In the context of travel, there are several different types of experiences. Here are the 5 main types of experiences:
- Adventurous Experiences: Picture heart-pounding activities that make your inner adrenaline junkie dance with joy. From skydiving to rock climbing, bungee jumping to whitewater rafting, these thrilling adventures push your limits and leave you craving more.
- Cultural Experiences: Immerse yourself in the tapestry of humanity as you engage with different cultures, traditions, and ways of life. Whether it’s participating in a vibrant festival, trying local cuisine, or learning traditional dances, these experiences broaden your horizons and foster a deeper understanding of the world around you.
- Natural Experiences: Journey into the great outdoors, where nature becomes your playground. Hike through majestic mountains, swim in turquoise waterfalls, camp under a canopy of stars, or simply bask in the serene beauty of untouched landscapes. These experiences reconnect you with the Earth and awaken a sense of wonder.
- Relaxing Experiences: Unwind and recharge your spirit with experiences that bring tranquility and serenity. Picture a soothing spa day, practicing yoga on a serene beach, or simply finding solace in the midst of nature’s embrace. These moments of relaxation rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul.
- Educational Experiences: Satiate your curiosity and expand your knowledge with experiences that nurture your intellect. Whether it’s visiting museums and historical sites, attending workshops or lectures, or engaging in cultural exchanges, these experiences feed your thirst for learning and self-discovery.
Cool experiences relating to travel and adventuring around the globe
The world is full of incredible and unique travel experiences that are just waiting to be had. Whether you want to swim with whale sharks, go gorilla trekking, or see the Northern Lights, there’s something out there for everyone.
So don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Whether it’s going on a safari in Africa or attending Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, these once-in-a-lifetime experiences will not only broaden your horizons, but also enrich your life in ways that you never could have imagined.
So go ahead, make that bucket list and start checking off those unforgettable experiences. The world is your oyster, and the possibilities are endless!