The best travel quotes are often the deepest and most powerful. As a travel blogger, I always look to travel quotes for guidance, wanderlust, and inspiration. For years, I’ve been collecting quotes about travel while traveling the world, and always enjoy reflecting on them in my day-to-day life. Everyone has a different lens through which they view the world, which is why it’s important to heed the advice and insight of others.
Inspirational travel quotes are my favorite, but I also really enjoy reading funny, famous, and adventure ones.
Based on my travel journeys, I’ve compiled a list of the 99 best travel quotes that resonate with me the most. Some of these travel quotes are short, others are a bit longer. I hope you find inspiration and meaning in all of them!
Below are many of my favorite travel quotes that touch upon all aspects of vacation, life, and adventure. Feel free to pin and share these unique quotes and images on social media!
Top 10 Best Travel Quotes
These are my favorite travel quotes of all time.
1. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Lao Tzu
I love this travel quote because it relates to both traveling and life in general.
Even the most foreign country or faraway places aren’t light years away. The journey may appear long and intimidating, but when you take one step at a time, it’s manageable. I think this is the perfect way to begin a list of the best quotes for travel lovers.
2. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
This quote about traveling is one about leadership, and chartering your own course when everybody else is doing the same thing. While I enjoy the Londons and Romes of the world, I prefer the off the beaten path places. Visiting such destinations make me feel more like an explorer, one of the many joys of traveling.
3. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world” – Mary Anne Radmacher
This travel quote really resonates with me. I’ll never be the same, having seen the moon, the stars, and the sun shine in different places around the globe. Whether you’re in Boston or Bogotá, the moon doesn’t change shape or shine any differently, but the lens with which you view it does.
4. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore” – Andre Gide
Though this is a popular travel quote, I think it has practical applications beyond traveling. Losing sight of the shore is akin to getting out of your comfort zone, which is key to unlocking your full potential.
This is definitely one of my favorite adventure quotes.
Planning to travel anytime soon? Subscribe to my email list for exclusive travel tips, hacks, and other resources to save time and money!
5. “We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone” – Katie Thurmes
I love this one. In particular, I think it’s one of the best travel quotes for an Instagram caption. Photos let us capture special moments and allow us to relive them. Videos are even better. Here’s my new and improved version of this quote:
“We take videos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.” – Jon Miksis (12/26/2019)
6. “There’s a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they’re absolutely free. Don’t miss so many of them” – Jo Walton
As this quote implies, you don’t have to travel the world or spend money to see a sunset. One of life’s greatest treasures can be seen from your own backyard…though they also look spectacular in Aruba and Hawaii (*wink wink).
7. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller” – Ibn Battuta
This is definitely among the most inspiring travel quotes.
One experience that totally left me speechless was seeing the aurora borealis in West Iceland. My wife and I were driving along a country road at night, when we saw some mysterious low-hanging clouds just off to our right. We decided to pull over in the middle of nowhere and jump out of the car when, lo and behold, we would see the most brilliant light show of our lives. Beautiful shades of yellow, green, red, and blue lights were dancing in the midnight sky, and I was at a loss for words. The light movements appeared too deliberate and perfect to be merely an atmospheric phenomenon; it honestly felt like magic was at work.
Seeing the aurora borealis was such a surreal experience. And though my words don’t come close to fully capturing the essence of this incredible phenomenon, this experience will forever bring chills down my spine. This is definitely one of the best and most inspirational quotes for travel lovers.
8. “Oh the places you’ll go” – Dr. Seuss
This is one of my favorite travel and life quotes because it means something different to everyone. My destiny may not be the same as yours, but ohhh the places you’ll go. In the words of Dr. Seuss:
“You have brains in your head. Feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”– Dr. Seuss
I’m always reminded of Dr. Seuss’ words whenever I go on a road trip. What do you think of when you hear this travel quote?
9. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow” – Anita Desai
Each of us today is the product of all our past experiences. Family and friends leave an indelible impact on our lives, as do the many places we see and experience. This is definitely one of the best travel the world quotes out there.
10. “Take only memories, leave only footprints ” – Chief Seattle
With overtourism and climate change presenting challenges to our global community, I think this travel quote is more relevant than ever. As travelers, we should keep our footprints at a minimal, in order to best preserve the world’s cultural and natural treasures for generations to come.
With so much relevance and meaning, this is a favorite quote of mine.
Inspirational Travel Quotes
11. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world” – Gustave Flaubert
This inspiring quote about traveling really puts things in perspective.
I remember when my hometown was the center of the universe. It was all I ever knew. The older I got, the further I ventured away from home into this vast world. I went off to college, studied abroad, worked, played, and traveled. With each trip, my perception of the world grew larger, while my “old world” became smaller.
Traveling enhances our understanding of the world, but it also exposes how little we know, making us feel like a small fish in a big pond.
12. “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever” – Unknown
Read this quote again. And then read it again, and again, until these words sink in.
Fear is one of the biggest deterrents in all aspects of life, including traveling. But what we should be fearing more than fear itself is regret. I’ve found that the most interesting, culturally-enriching vacations are often the most uncomfortable. I’m scared of flying, though I’ve taken hundreds of flights and will hopefully take many more.
Whether it’s my fear of flying, fear of getting food poisoning by eating Chinese hot pot, or fear of getting mugged in Colombia; these fears pale in comparisons to my fear of regret. I hope you can overcome these fears, too.
13. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go” – Anthony Bourdain
The late, great Anthony Bourdain was a wealth of knowledge and wisdom. His quote about traveling is especially relevant for high school and college students with a strong desire to travel the world.
A lot of young people say they don’t travel because of money reasons, but 99% of the time, I think it has more to do with lifestyle than anything else. If you’re young, fit, and able – as described by Bourdain – ditch the luxurious resorts and sleep in hostels instead. Forget the Filet mignon and Foie gras, and instead buy food from supermarkets. Your dollar will go much further this way, which will allow you to travel more often and live like a local.
I’ve traveled extensively by spending less than $30 a day on accommodations, food, and no-frills activities. It can be done. Whether you’re 20, 22, 25, or 30, this type of travel lifestyle could change your life.
This wise traveler is sorely missed.
14. “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and start being excited of what could go right” – Tony Robbins
I love this quote and will probably frame it on my wall at some point. Fear is something that really holds people back, but imagine the possibilities when you relinquish the bad and replace it with the good?
15. “The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself” – Wallace Stevens
The world is my inspiration. This is such a beautiful quote for those seeking to travel the world.
16. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes” – Marcel Proust
This is one of my favorite inspirational travel quotes. Traveling provides us with new lenses to view the world.
17. “Traveling allows you to become so many different versions of yourself” – Unknown
Traveling has taught me many things I didn’t know about myself, including how much I love cathedrals, spicy foods, and learning languages. These are all things that I didn’t have a particular interest in growing up, but now I really appreciate since becoming a full-time traveler!
18. “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves” – Pico Iyer
This is such an inspirational travel quote about throwing off the safety net of your familiar surroundings to discover new areas of the world (and ourselves).
19. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe” – Anatole France
I love exploring the outdoors. It feels good to be left to my own devices in the middle of nature, so I can fully appreciate the world around me. As this quote suggests, to travel the world is to re-establish a connection with the outdoors.
20. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have” – Anna Quindlen
So inspirational! The perfect quote about traveling.
21. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us” – J.R.R. Tolkien
Time, like happiness, is something you can’t buy. But by learning how to properly manage it, you can accomplish all your dreams and achieve happiness at the same time. One of J.R.R. Tolkien’s top travel quotes!
22. “Don’t quit your day dream” – Anonymous
This is just about as inspiring as a travel quote can be. The reason I became a travel blogger was because I never stopped dreaming.
Short Travel Quotes
23. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer” – Anonymous
Quotes about traveling like this one help us to remember how travel makes us humble and life experiences are more important than physical “things.” The older I get, the more I value experiences over things. I think this short travel quote really hits the nail on the head.
24. “The journey is my home” – Muriel Rukeyser
This short travel quote by Muriel Rukeyser is spot on. It’s all about loving the process and making the journey your home, because oftentimes the goal (or destination) keeps changing and evolving. If your goal is to visit 50 countries, I bet you’ll raise the bar the moment you hit the mark. Barcelona is a much different city today than it was in 2014, so you’ll find many reasons to return in 2021.
25. “To travel is to live” – Hans Christian Anderson
It’s a short travel quote, but oh it’s a good one. Though a fairytale author, Hans Christian Anderson definitely understood reality. I feel most alive and myself when I’m traveling. Here are a few travel experiences that have made me feel alive.
Seeing the northern lights for the first time.
Shivering in -25° temps in Quebec City.
Watching the majestic Matterhorn reveal itself amid the clouds.
Stepping foot inside Germany’s best preserved castles.
26. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction” – Unknown
As a study abroad student in Barcelona back in 2014, I remember getting lost on my way to the grocery store. This was my very first day living in the city, and I didn’t have a working phone plan with apps like Google Maps to guide me. I remember how exciting it felt being lost. After years of learning Spanish, I finally had the opportunity to apply my knowledge and ask locals for directions. It felt good to be lost in the right direction. This is definitely one of my favorite travel the world quotes.
27. Life is a journey, not a destination” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
This traveling quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson is on point. Another quote of his that I really like is “to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” It doesn’t get any more real than this short travel quote.
28. “Don’t listen to what they say, go see” – Chinese Proverb
This is such a short and sweet travel quote. People tend to exaggerate both the good and the bad. So don’t listen to them, and go see for yourself.
29. “People don’t take trips — trips take people” – John Steinbeck
I often remind myself of this quote about traveling from John Steinbeck. We all like to think that we’re in control of our travel experiences, and to an extent, we are. But the more I’ve traveled, the more I’ve learned that things happen and almost never go according to plan. And that’s perfectly okay!
30. “Travel – the best way to be lost and found at the same time” – Brenna Smith
This short and clever travel quote is definitely one of the best out there.
31. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough” – Mae West
If only we had nine lives…So let’s take advantage of that one life we do have.
32. “I love to travel, but hate to arrive” – Albert Einstein
As one of the smartest humans to ever walk the Earth, Albert Einstein was an inspiration to us all. His wise words here are to value the journey over the destination. The friendships, the culture, the traditions and values – these are the things we acquire during our lifelong journeys.
33. “Travel teaches toleration” – Benjamin Disraeli
It sure does. Imagine how much more open-minded and accepting everybody would be if they traveled?
34. “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving” – Lao Tzu
Travel lover quotes don’t get any deeper than this one.
Frequent traveling has taught me to no longer plan out everything in advance. Though having a general road map is a great idea, it’s equally as important to be willing to deviate from it.
35. “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles” – Tim Cahill
Traveling should never be about going far and wide to check off all the boxes. Instead, traveling should be about cultivating deep friendships with people who are different than you.
Whether you’re into solo travel or you travel with family/friends, this ought to be true. Wherever you go as a traveler, you’ll always be in good company.
36. “Not all those who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien
Tolkien’s quote is really thought-provoking and inspiring. I have to continually remind myself to wander through new places rather than planning out every step of the trip.
37. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware” – Martin Buber
Whether you’re a frequent traveler or a novice one, you’ll always find secret places when you’re traveling.
This short travel quote resonates with me a lot because I love finding the nooks and crannies of the places I visit. Even big cities like London and Paris have plenty of stones left unturned.
Funny Travel Quotes
38. “I need a six month vacation, twice a year.” – Anonymous
This vacation quote always gets me!
39. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine” – Caskie Stinnett
This funny and facetious travel quote is on point. Routines provide us with comfort and certainty, but travel is where the growth happens.
Whenever I’m stuck in a rut, traveling gets my creative juices flowing again. Spontaneity, adventure, and expecting the unexpected; that’s what life is all about.
40. “Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia” – Charles M. Schulz
I think we all need to hear funny travel quotes like this every once in a while.
41. “I want to vacation so long, I forget all my passwords.” – Unknown
Not that I really want to forget all my passwords (because that would be slightly annoying), but nevertheless this is one of the funniest vacation quotes.
42. “The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion” – Paul Coelho
Actions speak louder than words.
43. “He who would travel happily must travel light” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
This is one of the best travel quotes of all time for practical reasons. Traveling light is the key to mobility while on vacation. I need to remind myself of this vacation quote every time I pack before a trip.
44. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going” – Paul Theroux
This is one of the most popular vacation quotes. Tourists staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun will have a pretty solid idea of what their vacation will look like. A traveler, on the other hand, will not know what the trip will entail until staying at that hostel, meeting that local guide, or finding those lesser-known hidden gems.
45. “You can shake the sand from your shoes, but not from your soul” – Unknown
This short travel quote is all about taking part of your travel experiences home with you. Even though sand can be shaken off, your fondest memories can not.
46. “Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
This is such an interesting quote on travel and life. I think this concept is especially relevant for frequent travelers and digital nomads, who may find it difficult to form long-lasting connections with the places they visit because they travel so much.
Travel lover quotes like this really put things in perspective. Do you try to form a deep bond with the places you visit?
47. “Isn’t it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?” – Zig Ziglar
This funny vacation quote makes me laugh whenever I read it. I’m the type of person who’s always doing 1,000 things right before a trip.
Adventure Travel Quotes
48. A unique travel quote about pushing your limits: “Adventure is worthwhile” – Aesop
I think this travel quote about adventure is a bit of an understatement. Exploration and adventure is truly the catalyst of all growth and development in our lives. Such adventures also provide us with entertaining and inspiring stories to share with others later on.
49. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before” – Dalai Lama
This is one of the best travel the world quotes of all time. As much as I enjoy revisiting familiar places, there’s nothing better than discovering new ones.
50. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” – Neale Donald Walsch
This is one of my favorite adventure travel quotes. It’s scary to leave our comfort zone, but it ultimately allows us to soar to new heights and broaden our horizons.
Everyone’s comfort zone is different. It could mean challenging yourself to go camping off the grid or leaving the country for the first time. Or perhaps even traveling solo.
51. “The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams” – Oprah Winfrey
I frequently remind myself of this quote about life and traveling from Oprah Winfrey. The phrase “living the life of your dreams” is a bit cliché, but I think it’s a super important mindset to have.
52. ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you” – Ghaniya Dewi Arassyi
This adventure travel quote is very close to my heart. Before I began travel blogging full time, I felt trapped by a job that I really despised. The work was so mundane and aggravating that it was killing me on the inside. When I started putting my mind to living a life of travel, the barriers began to crumble and soon I’d be living my travel dream.
Everyday things like work and routine can wear us down after a while, but thankfully traveling can pick us up.
53. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain” – Jack Kerouac
This is one of my favorite quotes on adventure travel. Sure, we have plenty of mundane tasks to do each day, but it’s the adventures that we’ll ultimately remember at the end of our lives. Whether it’s climbing a mountain like Mt. Everest or flying on a plane, each of us seek our own unique adventures.
54. “The gladdest moment in human life is a departure into unknown lands” – Sir Richard Burton
There’s so much wisdom in Sir Richard Burtons’s quote on travel. My happiest moments are definitely when I’m exploring unfamiliar places.
55. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
This adventure travel quote is synonymous with one of the others above: “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever.” I couldn’t agree more with this quote, and it certainly inspires me to travel the world.
56. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure” – Freya Stark
Quotes about traveling often emphasize enjoying the serenity of nature or the calm of quiet towns over material things. I don’t think there’s another travel quote that describes it better than this one.
It’s such a great feeling to wake up in new, unfamiliar places. During my recent visit to Central Austria, I woke up early in the morning to the sound of birds chirping. When I looked out the window at my B&B, it was surreal to see the sun rising over the surrounding mountains and Swiss-style chalets in the distance. Definitely one of the best feelings in the world.
Famous Travel Quotes
57. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries” – Aldous Huxley
What you see on TV and the internet isn’t the full story; not even close. To truly understand what other countries are about, you have to visit them yourself.
These wise words by one of the greatest intellectuals of the 20th century reminds me of the travel quote below.
58. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page” – St. Augustine of Hippo
Travel lovers sure love quotes like this.
Traveling adds new perspectives and dimensions to our lives. It exposes to so many new ideas and ways of life that are much different than what we grew up with.
Whether it’s your lifelong story or a scrapbook, travel experiences add many pages to it.
If you’re a travel lover looking to be inspired, read this next: Florida’s Best Hidden Gems to Visit in 2021
59. “The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost” – Henry David Thoreau
This famous travel quote by Henry David Thoreau is spot on. Some of the most interesting people I’ve ever met are trailblazers, those who get lost and discover unique places, new faces, and different ways of looking at the world.
60. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list” – Susan Sontag
I don’t know about you, but my bucket list is growing much faster than I can check them off…
61. “Be the change you wish to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi, who so famously led Indians in civil disobedience against their foreign oppressors, said these wise words to encourage people to take their destinies into their own hands. Nothing substantial happens automatically, so you need to make changes on a personal level if you want to change the world.
62. “It is better to see something once, than to hear about it a thousand times” – Asian Proverb
This quote definitely applies to travel. It’s important to see places for yourself, because oftentimes what you hear from others doesn’t paint the full picture.
63. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled” – Muhammad
I’m a firm believer that traveling is the best education you can get outside of the classroom.
64. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime” – Mark Twain
This travel quote is so incredibly deep and true. I’m of the belief that if more people traveled, there would be much fewer international conflicts. Tourism not only integrates our economies, but it also allows us to gain insights about other people. More international travel would help us to curb prejudices and narrow-mindedness that exist in our society.
65. “You go away for a long time and return a different person – you never come all the way back” – Paul Theroux
This famous travel quote by Paul Theroux really hits the nail on the head. When you’re traveling, the places you visit become a part of you, so you never really return home as the same person.
66. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind” – Anthony Bourdain
This is one of my favorite travel quotes by Anthony Bourdain. He’s sorely missed.
67. “It is not down on any map; true places never are” – Herman Melville
During my visit to Venice last year, I was saddened that it didn’t live up the hype. Sure, the narrow streets and canals, churches and towers, and gondolas were all a feast for the eyes. But sadly, the exorbitant crowds took away much of the magic. Visiting any popular tourist spot during peak season gives me that same feeling. The charm and grandeur can easily be sucked away by the hordes of tourists who care more about snapping that perfect Instagram photo than the history and culture itself. That’s why I prefer the off-the-beaten-path places, which also happen to be much cheaper and more budget-friendly.
68. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it” – John Steinbeck
While looking for traveling quotes, I always search for the ones with the deepest meaning. This is one of them. When you’re traveling, there are a lot of things out of your control that could go wrong. It always pays to be prepared, but don’t get hung up on things that don’t go according to plan.
69. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment” – Hilaire Belloc
This is such a powerful wanderlust quote. When I was working in an unfulfilling corporate job, I would sometimes travel just to escape the grind and distract myself from it. It was when I quit that job when I began traveling with purpose.
70. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met” – Melody Truong
This wanderlust quote really speaks to me. I spend so much time researching faraway places, cultures, and people, that I often fall in love with the destinations before I arrive. This feeling of wanderlust is what drives me to explore unexplored places.
I always seem to book my next trip after reading travel lover quotes like this.
71. “And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end” – Pico Iyer
This is definitely one of the top wanderlust quotes out there. Having visited more than 40 countries, you’d think that the rose-colored goggles would wear off by now. On the contrary, I’m still just as excited at the sight of a new destination as I was during my first. It’s definitely like cherishing a loved one.
72. “It’s a big world out there. It would be a shame not to experience it” – J. D. Andrews
This is definitely one of the best travel the world quotes out there. The world is so vast and there’s so much to see – it’s a bit overwhelming.
73. “Travel has a way of stretching the mind” – Ralph Crawshaw
This is such an inspirational quote.
From flights and accommodations to activities and attractions, there are so many things to think about when traveling. As such, traveling definitely pushes us to our limits, both physically and mentally.
74. “The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life” – Agnes Repplier
Booking trips on the fly would have to be one of my biggest impulses. When the flight price is right, I book. What things inspire your wanderlust?
75. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey” – Pat Conroy
This is definitely one of the best wanderlust quotes in the world. However, instead of leaving my travel memories in a quiet chamber of my mind, I try my best to document as much as possible on my travel blog.
76. “Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show” – Unknown
I try to live by this every day. The only tangible things I need after a long, daring adventure are pictures and videos. It’s much more meaningful to share memories than to show off physical things.
The only new things I ever need are airline tickets, as traveling is the greatest reward in life. Do you agree?
77. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves” – Henry David Thoreau
This is definitely one of the best philosophical travel quotes of all time. When we’re lost and left to our own devices, we tend to learn much more about ourselves.
78. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen” – Benjamin Disraeli
Of all the quotes about traveling I’ve compiled here, this one has been one of the most interesting. During my travels, what I remember most vividly are the fresh perspectives and ideas that come from what I’ve seen and experienced.
79. “Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” – David McCullough Jr.
This ought to be one of the best travel captions out there.
Given the social media age we’re in today, this quote about traveling is more relevant than ever before. It seems that many people are more concerned with getting the perfect selfie than they are about the experience itself. The Instagram post is not what you’ll remember years from now; climbing that mountain will.
Unique Travel Quotes
80. “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding” – Sandra Lake
This is one of my favorite quotes about travel for a variety of reasons. I wholeheartedly agree with the connection between traveling and understanding. I think our world would be much better off if more people traveled. Not only would we not be afraid of each other, but perhaps we’d even understand and appreciate one another. Hopefully, someday we will get there!
81. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints” – Robert Louis Stevenson
I really appreciate this quote on traveling because it shows that we shouldn’t take our escapades too seriously. Sure, the destination is important, but it isn’t everything. The mere act of traveling, being left to your own devices in a faraway place, gets to the essence of our human core. I also enjoy traveling for travel’s sake!
82. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by” – Robert Frost
It would be a shame to create a list of top inspirational travel quotes, and fail to mention Robert Frost. This quotation is all about taking the road less traveled, which may entail more risk, but also a higher reward. I always strive to explore the more off-the-beaten-path places, and usually, it leads to an amazing discovery!
Read next: Coolest Hidden Gems in the United States
83. “The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it” – Rudyard Kipling
This is easily one of the top quotes about travel because it encourages us to use our senses. We often take them for granted, particularly in the social media age that we live in today.
It seems as though most tourists would prefer to let their cameras capture moments for them, rather than letting their senses do the work. While sight is really important to experiencing a destination, we shouldn’t overlook our sense of smell! Especially when there are bakeries around!
84. “Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure” – Aldous Huxley
This is top among the great travel quotes of the 20th century. It serves as a reminder that traveling isn’t just about checking off all the boxes.
In today’s age, many people are into bucket lists, and they tend to overlook the very essence of traveling. It’s normal nowadays to constantly be on the go, running from sight to sight, or museum to museum. Instead of always being on the move to avoid boredom, we should take a step back once in a while, and enjoy our freedom and R&R. That’s what a true traveler does. Is this one of the most unique travel quotes out there? Absolutely!
Read next: Top Bucket List Ideas in 2021
Other Quotes About Traveling
85. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign” – Robert Louis Stevenson
As a travel writer, this quote really resonates with me.
Everything in life (and travel) is a matter of perspective. This is among the best travel the world quotes, as it truly makes you think deeply about the big picture.
86. “The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land” – G.K. Chesterton
G.K. Chesterton’s quote about traveling is another way of saying the words above by Robert Louis Stevenson. Having an eye-opening travel experience will make you see your home differently.
87. “Make your vocation your vacation. That is the secret to success.” – Mark Twain
This is one of the most inspirational vacation quotes out there. If you love the work you do everyday, you won’t find a need to escape it. And this, will make your travels much more meaningful.
This was precisely the mindset that encouraged me to quit my corporate job a couple of years ago to pursue my lifelong passion, traveling.
88. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends” – Maya Angelou
Traveling teaches that there’s more that unites us than divides us. We all have the same worries, needs, and hopes.
89. “The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends” – Shirley MacLaine
One of the greatest things I’ve learned during my travels is how similar we all are. We may look a little different and do some things differently, but we all want the same stuff: a long and healthy life, self-actualization, and meaningful relationships, among other things. Throughout human history, it’s sad and unfortunate that people have had a tendency to view others as their enemy without even knowing them. Traveling is one of the best ways to eliminate this fear.
90. “When overseas you learn more about your own country, than you do the place you’re visiting” – Clint Borgen
Clint Borgen’s quote about traveling the world couldn’t be more true. While traveling teaches us tons about other places, it also changes the way we view ourselves. I don’t think one country has a monopoly on good ideas; so I think we could all benefit by learning about what other people do in order to best improve our own homes.
91. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself” – George Bernard Shaw
Many people run away from their problems with a hope that they’ll find what they’re looking for. While this can work, I’m a firm believer that you have to create the life you want, because more likely than not, it won’t come to you served on a silver platter.
92. “Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness” – Frank Tyger
Don’t just dream about all the things you’re going to do during retirement. Build a life now that brings you happiness. It took me years to fully understand this motivational travel quote by Frank Tyger.
93. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things” – Henry Miller
Well, I think a destination is also a place, but Miller’s famous quote about traveling is well taken.
94. “Investment in travel is an investment in yourself” – Matthew Karsten
Investing in your next adventure is always a great idea.
I’ve heard this famous travel quote many times in different ways. I met Matthew Karsten at Travel Con in Boston last year, and really like the way he succinctly shares his thoughts and ideas.
It’s a wonderful world out there.
95. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey” – Babs Hoffman
As long as they don’t pop your tires, that is.
Don’t get bogged down on your daily life, and instead, keep your eye on the prize and the journey at large.
96. “Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life” – Dolly Parton
This famous travel quote is spot on. There’s a big difference between working to live and living to work.
97. “I dislike feeling at home when I am abroad” – George Bernard Shaw
Travel lovers will surely love this quote.
Though it’s nice to feel comfortable and at home, these feels are not welcomed while I’m traveling. On the other hand, I enjoy being uncomfortable when I’m abroad, because it wouldn’t be an authentic, local experience otherwise.
This reminds me of one of my other favorite life quotes by Jillian Michaels: “Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.”
98. A unique travel quote about life: “The journey not the arrival matters” – T.S. Eliot
I couldn’t agree more with this famous travel quote by T.S. Eliot. When I first began travel blogging, I put way too much emphasis on getting to my destination. Over time, however, I’ve learned to let that go and just enjoy the ride.
Read next: Helpful Tips for Beginning a Travel Blog
99. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Definitely one of my favorite travel lover quotes about the world and wanderlust. Ralph Waldo Emerson was one of the top literary figures, philosophers, and world travelers of the 19th century. I think his wise and thoughtful words are the perfect way to wrap up my round-up of the best travel quotes.
Traveling Quotes – Recap
I hope you enjoyed my round-up of the best travel quotes. These quotes about travel have inspired me to live a life of passion, adventure, and continuous learning.
If you’re looking for travel inspiration to feed your wanderlust, I hope you’ve found the perfect quote in this article!
What are your favorite travel quotes? Which quotes inspire you the most? Share them in the comments below!
Happy Travels! -Jon
Looking some more travel inspiration? Check out my latest blog posts below.
- Most Instagrammable Places in Spain
- Most Beautiful Cities in Europe You Should Visit in 2021
- Best Hidden Gems in Europe: 14 Unique Places to Visit in 2021
- Best Travel Apps for iPhone and Android in 2021
- 12 Simple and Effective Tips to Save Money on Travel
- 10 International Travel Tips to Make You a Smarter Traveler
Itineraries & Travel Guides:
- Oman Travel Guide: Tips and Inspiration for Your First Visit
- Long Weekend in Barcelona: A 3-Day Barcelona Itinerary
- Top Things to See and Do in Verona, Italy
For more articles and videos, be sure to check out my homepage!
Check out the links below to see what’s new in the Global Viewpoint world!