Looking to travel in April without overspending on flights? I’ve spent years tracking down the best airfare deals, scouring sites such as Going, Hopper, and Kayak. And let me tell you – the cheapest places to fly in April will surprise you. Here’s my guide to the cheapest destinations in April. Let’s get started!
I’ve always been a fan of April travel. Sure, good weather isn’t always guaranteed during the shoulder season, but the lower prices and fewer crowds certainly makes up for it. Plus, in the northern hemisphere, flowers and plants are in full bloom – which adds to the scenic beauty of the destination. Believe me, finding the best places to fly in April is about more than just saving money. It’s about diving into experiences that seem tailor-made for this cheerful month.
I’ve rocked out to cool music in London, stood in awe under the Northern Lights in Reykjavik, and laughed until my sides hurt on theme park rides in Orlando. Every trip, whether I was trying new food or joining in on a local party, left me with cool stories and a craving to see more,
I’ve put together a list of the cheapest places to fly in April that are just too good to pass up. Based on my own travel diaries and tips I’ve picked up along the way, this guide is your golden ticket to seeing the world like you’re part of it. Ready to get started?
#1 tip to find cheap flights in April
Looking for cheap flights to fly to in April? Before diving into all the top cities and airports to fly to, I want to share a quick tip on how to save money on airfare.
For the past 3 years, I’ve used Scott’s Cheap Flights (now called Going) to get amazing flight deals. All you have to do is enter your home airport and where you want to go, and from there, they’ll send you mistake fares and other ridiculously cheap flight deals. And the coolest part? It’s 100% FREE! In 2023, I’ve saved thousands of dollars from their email alerts. This includes most recently, a $286 roundtrip fare from Boston to Reykjavik.
There’s a free and a premium version – the free one has pretty much everything you’ll need. Though if you’re like me and travel a lot, it’s worth upgrading to the paid version for $49 per year. I recommend signing up for the free trial (you can cancel at any time) to try it for yourself. And if you like it, use my coupon code JON20 to save 20%!
Now without further ado, here are the best flights in April in 2023.
Best Places to Go in April
Traveling in April comes with its own set of perks. Below, you’ll find top April destinations that are not just wallet-friendly but also rich in experiences. To give you a sneak peek, here are some highlights:
- Best for Cultural Experiences: Mexico City, Mexico
- Best for City Exploration: London, United Kingdom
- Best for Nature Lovers: Reykjavik, Iceland
- Best Beach Destination: Nassau, Bahamas
- Best for Adventure Seekers: Bogota, Colombia
- Best for Scenic Views: Vancouver, Canada
- Best for History Buffs: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Best for Family Fun: Orlando, Florida
Now, let’s dive deeper into why these destinations make for the perfect affordable travel spots in April.
Hunting for the cheapest places to go in April? Set your sights on Bogota, Colombia. This Andean city is a powerhouse of culture, offering everything from historic streets to modern art scenes, all without the premium price tag you’d expect.
April sees the city in a comfortable climate, not too hot, not too cold — a Goldilocks of sorts when it comes to weather. Plus, with fewer tourists, you get to experience the city’s charm without the bustling crowds.
Getting to Bogota doesn’t have to drain your bank account. El Dorado International Airport (BOG) is your best bet, serving as the country’s busiest hub. It’s a hotspot for affordable flights in April, with a plethora of airlines offering competitive rates.
Once you’re there, dive into the heart of Colombian culture in La Candelaria, the city’s historic epicenter. It’s a visual feast of cobblestone alleys, colonial mansions, and vibrant street art. Here, every turn is a step back in time. For the history buffs, the Gold Museum is a non-negotiable stop. With glittering displays of ancient metallurgy, it’s a window into Colombia’s rich indigenous past. And let’s not forget the food! From local eateries serving hearty arepas to upscale restaurants with international cuisine, your taste buds are in for a treat.
Bogota isn’t just about urban experiences, though. For nature lovers, a hike up Monserrate Mountain is an absolute must. The trails might be a workout, but the sweeping city views from the top? Worth every step. Whether you’re a solo backpacker or a family adventurer, visiting Bogota in April is a choice you won’t regret. It’s the perfect blend of city buzz and natural tranquility, all at a wallet-friendly cost.
Another one of the cheapest places to fly in April is New Orleans, Louisiana. This vibrant city, known for its live jazz, rich history, and eclectic cuisine, is a treasure on the Mississippi River. If you’re searching for the best places to go in April, you’ve found one. New Orleans in spring is a sweet spot. It’s comfortably warm without the intense humidity of summer, and the city’s legendary jazz music seems to float just a bit lighter in the air.
But it’s not just the weather that makes it one of the cheapest places to fly in April. It’s the explosion of colors, sounds, and flavors. The French Quarter fest, a free music festival, kicks off in April, turning the historic district into one giant, rollicking street party. Here, you’ll find music intertwined with every aspect of life. This ranges from the street performers on Royal Street to the late-night jazz clubs dotting the city.
New Orleans, however, isn’t just about music. It’s a paradise for food enthusiasts. The culinary landscape here reflects the city’s diverse cultural roots, offering everything from spicy Creole dishes to the freshest seafood.
Getting here is as easy as a Louis Armstrong melody, with Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) offering a range of affordable flights in April. If your heart beats for vibrant culture, soul-touching music, and food that’ll make you close your eyes in delight, New Orleans is your next stop this April.
3. Vancouver, British Columbia
One of my favorite places to visit in spring is Vancouver, British Columbia. The way the city comes alive, shedding its winter layers for vibrant blossoms and sunnier days, holds a special place in my heart. Now, let’s talk about why this Pacific gem is one of the cheapest places to fly in April and why it’s worth every penny.
Vancouver has evolved from its historical roots, transforming into a bustling metropolis that’s a gateway to Canada’s diverse landscape. You can often find roundtrip flights to Vancouver International Airport (YVR), just a short distance from the city center, at incredibly reasonable prices during this season.
Nestled on Canada’s southwestern coast, Vancouver is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. One of the first things you’ll want to do upon arrival is explore the city’s renowned natural beauty. While many of Vancouver’s beaches are more pebbly than sandy, places like Kitsilano Beach offer the quintessential sun, sand, and sea experience.
Given Vancouver’s plethora of outdoor and cultural activities, you’ll want the weather on your side. Luckily, spring in Vancouver, from April to early June, is typically mild and increasingly sunny. It’s the perfect time to experience comfortable temperatures and a city blooming into life.
Looking to save BIG on airfare? I recommend signing up for the free version of Dollar Flight Club. Thanks to DFC, I’ve saved THOUSANDS of dollars…so I couldn’t recommend it more!
No list of the cheapest places to go in April would be complete without a shout-out to all the food lovers out there. When it comes to a diverse food scene, there’s no overlooking Mexico City. This bustling capital is a gastronomic paradise! You’ll find everything from street-side taco stands to gourmet restaurants.
You might not immediately think of Mexico City’s Benito Juárez International Airport as one of the most affordable gateways in North America. Thanks to its status as one of the continent’s largest and busiest airports, you’re bound to find some cheap April flights. Its connectivity makes it an accessible destination for Mexicans and international travelers hungry for a taste of Mexico’s flavors.
Despite its urban landscape, Mexico City has its own kind of lushness, especially regarding its food scene. The city is a collection of neighborhoods, each offering a distinct dining experience. You’ll want to set aside ample time to savor everything from authentic mole and street-side churros to high-end fusion cuisine. While you’re there, why not take a cooking class? Many local chefs offer them, and it’s a unique way to dive deep into the culture.
Once you’ve had your fill, explore the array of history and art at places like the historic Zócalo or the Frida Kahlo Museum. If you’re in the mood for a day trip, the ancient pyramids of Teotihuacan are just a short drive away.
The ideal time to visit Mexico City spans from March to May when the city enjoys mild, springtime weather. The temperatures are comfortable, and the jacaranda trees are in full bloom, painting the city in vibrant shades of purple.
It’s no secret that the Bahamas is a paradise of sun, sand, and vibrant culture. What might surprise you, though, is that it’s also one of the best places to fly in April on a budget. Nassau, the country’s capital, is particularly budget-friendly during this period, offering as much in affordability as it does in attractions.
Your Bahamian adventure begins the moment you land at Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS), the main gateway to this island nation. Despite being one of the busiest airports in the Caribbean, Nassau remains an accessible destination. It’s popular with both solo backpackers and families. The city is a colorful tapestry of locals and travelers, all basking in the island’s infectious energy, which makes it essential to plan your stay to soak in all the experiences.
I suggest starting your journey in the heart of Nassau with a visit to the historic Queen’s Staircase. This attraction is a marvel of limestone steps offering a glimpse into the island’s past and a panoramic view of the city. Then, make your way to the nearby Fort Fincastle. It’s a testament to the island’s colonial history and a vantage point for breathtaking ocean views.
One activity you can’t miss is a boat tour through the clear blue waters surrounding Nassau. Whether you opt for a simple sail or a full-on snorkeling expedition, the ocean off the coast of the Bahamas is a world of wonder, home to vibrant coral reefs and diverse marine life. It’s an experience that captures the essence of the Bahamas — serene, beautiful, and utterly unforgettable.
Seeking an affordable international flight for a spring getaway? Set your sights on London! The capital of the United Kingdom is not just a hub of history and culture. It’s also one of the cheapest places to fly in April, especially for those jetting off from the States.
Travelers will typically land at either Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW). These airports are major hubs, with airlines like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and American Airlines offering frequent flights. Because of the high traffic, scoring cheap April flights is a real possibility, especially if you keep an eye on deal alerts from sites like Skyscanner or Kayak.
Once you touch down, the adventure truly begins. West London boasts the grandeur of Buckingham Palace and the historic House of Parliament, while the East End offers a taste of London’s vibrant street art and delicious food. A visit to London isn’t complete without stopping by the Tower of London. Here, you can gaze at the Crown Jewels and ponder tales of royalty.
For culture enthusiasts, the West End’s theatre district is a must. Catch a play or musical, or wander through the Tate Modern’s diverse galleries. History lovers will revel in the British Museum, home to global artifacts, including the renowned Rosetta Stone.
I personally recommend spending an afternoon in Covent Garden. This charming district is perfect for shopping, enjoying street performances, and sampling local and international cuisines. With parks in full bloom and pleasantly mild weather, spring in London is a traveler’s dream. It’s a top pick for those wondering where to fly in April from the US.
Reykjavik, Iceland, is a destination that offers a journey into a land of stark contrasts and natural wonders. Imagine a city where fire and ice coexist, where the northern lights paint the sky, and geothermal pools await your dive. That’s Reykjavik for you, and it’s one of the best April destinations. The city maintains its cozy, small-town charm, and it’s surprisingly one of the cheapest places to go in April from the East Coast.
For my first time in Reykjavik, I was struck by its cultural richness, an artistic and culinary haven that kept surprising me. The people here are warm and creative, always ready with a story about ancient Vikings or a plate of something delicious and unexpected. And you can’t miss Hallgrímskirkja, the towering church offering panoramic views of this vibrant, eclectic city.
But the real magic happens outside the city limits. A short drive from Reykjavik, and you’re in a realm of stunning natural wonders. I’ve watched in awe as the geysers at Geysir spouted into the sky, felt the mist from the powerful Gullfoss waterfall on my face, and let the surreal beauty of the landscape wash over me. And the Blue Lagoon? Trust me, soaking in those warm, geothermal waters amidst a field of lava is as dreamy as it sounds.
Arriving in Iceland is a breeze, with Keflavík International Airport welcoming travelers. It’s the largest airport in the country, yet it’s remarkably stress-free, with some fantastic deals to be found in the spring months.
Putting together a list of affordable flights in April? Reykjavik deserves a spot. It’s an adventure into a world of myth, nature, and the captivating allure of Icelandic culture.
If you’re hunting for an affordable April destination, Orlando, Florida, might just be your perfect match. Known to many as the theme park capital of the world, Orlando offers excitement beyond roller coasters and fairy-tale characters. It’s a city that pulses with vibrancy, culture, and adventure, which makes it one of the best April destinations.
Now, you might not think of Orlando as a typical cultural hotspot, but let me tell you, this city surprised me. Beyond the realm of castles and cartoon characters, there’s eclectic neighborhoods and a diverse food landscape. The East End Market, for instance, blew me away with its array of artisanal foods and crafts.
But alright, let’s touch on the obvious—the theme parks. They’re an undeniable draw, and I’ve spent more than a few days reliving childhood fantasies in the Magic Kingdom and exploring the cutting-edge attractions at Universal Studios. The beauty of visiting in the spring? It’s one of the cheapest places to fly in April, and you’ll beat the sweltering summer heat and the peak tourist season.
Arriving at Orlando International Airport (MCO) sets the stage, as it’s a hub teeming with energy and excitement, indicative of the city itself. Getting here is a breeze, and the deals are seriously worth considering.
If you’re looking for a place to go in April, Orlando is a great choice. Not only does it have exciting theme parks, but it also has interesting cultural spots. It’s perfect for anyone who loves adventure and wants to discover new things.
Need more help preparing for your vacation? Here are a few common questions and answers about the cheapest places to fly in Spring.
April is a fantastic month to chase the sun. There are several destinations around the globe known for their warm temperatures during this time:
- Bogota, Colombia: Experience a mild climate in April, perfect for exploring the city’s rich cultural heritage and vibrant street art.
- Orlando, Florida: Famous for its theme parks, Orlando offers ideal weather in April. It’s a great choice for families.
- Nassau, Bahamas: This destination is perfect for beach lovers, with its clear skies, sunny days, and pristine beaches.
- Crete, Greece: Europe starts to warm up in April. Crete leads the way with its pleasant climate, perfect for exploring ancient ruins and enjoying local cuisine.
- Bali, Indonesia: April marks the end of the rainy season in Bali. This makes it a great time to enjoy its beaches, forests, and rich cultural experiences in warm, dry weather.
Finding the most affordable flights in April requires a mix of planning, monitoring, and using technology to your advantage. Here’s how you can secure the best deals:
- Comparison Tools: Use flight comparison websites and apps. Tools like Skyscanner, Google Flights, and Hopper aggregate flight prices from various airlines. This allows you to find the best deal at a glance.
- Price Alerts: Set up price alerts for destinations you’re interested in. Whether you’re eyeing the cultural richness of New Orleans or the natural landscapes of Vancouver, getting notified when prices drop can help you save big.
- Budget Airlines: Consider flying with budget airlines. Carriers like Southwest, Ryanair, or EasyJet often have cheaper tickets compared to their full-service counterparts. Just be mindful of the additional fees for baggage and onboard services.
- Flexible Dates: If you can, be flexible with your travel dates. Mid-week flights often cost less than weekend flights. Also, flying out during less popular hours, like late night or early morning, can also cut costs.
- Reward Points: Don’t forget about airline reward programs. If you’ve accrued miles or points, springtime might be a perfect opportunity to use them for discounted or free flights.
- Book in Advance: While last-minute deals can be tempting, they’re risky. Booking approximately 6-8 weeks in advance generally provides the best balance between price and choice for April travels.
Several low-cost US airlines are known for their budget-friendly fares. While it varies depending on the destination and time of year, airlines like Southwest, JetBlue, and Spirit often have competitive prices. This is especially true for domestic destinations like Orlando and New Orleans. Always compare across airlines for the best deal!
For travel in April, especially to popular destinations like London, United Kingdom, or Reykjavik, Iceland, it’s wise to start scanning for tickets around three months in advance. This is when you might spot affordable flights in April. Last-minute deals are rare, especially in spring, as it’s a popular travel season.
April presents unique opportunities for budget travel, and if you’re looking for cost-effective destinations, you’re in luck. Here are five places that are typically cheaper to fly to in April, offering a range of experiences:
- Lisbon, Portugal: Lisbon is not only affordable, but it’s also rich in culture and history. The weather in April is pleasant, and the city is less crowded. This allows for a more relaxed exploration of its architectural marvels, historic streets, and delectable seafood.
- Barcelona, Spain: Known for its art and architecture, Barcelona is another destination that’s more affordable to visit in April. The city hosts the famous Sant Jordi Day, a unique celebration of culture and romance, where books and roses adorn the streets.
- New Orleans, Louisiana: With the festive Mardi Gras season over, flight prices typically drop in April. The weather is comfortable for exploring the city’s rich musical history, diverse culinary scene, and unique southern charm.
- Denver, Colorado: If you’re a fan of nature, Denver in April is a must. With the ski season winding down, you’ll find cheaper flights. Plus, you can enjoy the city’s blossoming beer culture, vibrant art scenes, and nearby outdoor activities.
- Bangkok, Thailand: April is Thailand’s traditional New Year, known as Songkran, where the country turns into a massive water fight. Flights to Bangkok are generally more affordable, and the city is buzzing with activity, street food, and night markets.
If you’re seeking warmth in Europe during April, places like southern Spain and Greece start heating up. However, for a city break, London can surprise you with some mild and sunny days, perfect for park visits and outdoor sightseeing. It’s not scorching hot, but it’s certainly pleasant compared to the winter months!
Is April a cheap month to fly?
The cost of airfare can vary greatly depending on several factors, including the destination, departure city, airline, and external events. However, in general terms:
- April as a Shoulder Month: April is often considered a “shoulder month” in many destinations, meaning it falls between the high season and the low season. This can result in cheaper airfares compared to peak travel times.
- Spring Break Effect: In some parts of the U.S., schools have spring break in April, which can lead to increased demand for flights to popular vacation destinations. This can cause a spike in airfare prices for certain routes.
- Easter Travel: The date of Easter varies each year, and if it falls in April, flights around that time might be more expensive due to increased demand.
- Destinations Matter: If you’re flying to a destination that’s popular in April (like Japan during cherry blossom season), flights might be pricier. Conversely, destinations that aren’t in their peak tourist season in April might offer more affordable airfares.
- Advanced Booking: Regardless of the month, booking your flight well in advance can often secure a better rate. Last-minute bookings in April, like any other month, can be expensive.
- External Factors: Events, conventions, or other large gatherings can affect flight prices. For instance, if a major conference is happening in a city in April, flights to that city might be more expensive.
April is a great time to travel, with warm weather and beautiful spring scenes. It’s the perfect chance to explore new places without the heavy crowds or high prices. I’ve always found this month to be a sweet spot for discovering both hidden gems and popular spots in a new light.
In the US, cities like New Orleans and Denver are full of life, music, and nature. Europe also shines in April. Cities like Lisbon and Barcelona are not just warm but also rich in history and fun events. And let’s not forget Asia — I had one of my best experiences celebrating Songkran in the bustling city of Bangkok!
Finding cheap flights in April is easier than you think. Just be flexible with your dates, keep an eye on flight prices, and remember that smaller airports can offer big savings. I’ve often found that being a bit adventurous with your travel plans can lead to the best experiences and deals.
So, where will April take you? Whether it’s the beaches, mountains, or cities, this month is your chance to create unforgettable memories. I can’t wait to see where my next April adventure will be, and I’m excited for you to start yours!